Monday, December 2, 2013

Resolved and readings

I love how Freire talks about both the student and the teacher should be both taught and learn. So both are teachers and students. I feel that a good teacher is always learning, and a good student is always prepared to explain what they are learning to others. The idea of the student being oppressed becomes clear when the Freires list of what a one way teaching looks like or what it would assume. The most effective one was that the teacher knows everything and the students know nothing. It is clear that this is never true, and if this is not true then both students and teachers must learn from one another. He also talks about the fact that the answer to helping students is not to just bring them into structure or our society but to inform them of what they are truly capable of discovering and creating for themselves. They video that is on the blog of the kid storming out of the classroom was very interesting, and I loved that he finally realized that he deserved and could demand better education then just packets and silent writing.

As for our film, I searched everywhere for the Resolved documentary and only found a short trailer of sorts. It was a little scary, and for some reason made me sad that debate has changed so much. But I was able to find the documentary Is School Enough. It was a good video but I feel like the title says it all. Perhaps it is a good reminder but for me it is obvious that school is only part of a child's growth and development. Has society not always understood that part, if not most, of a child's learning should happen outside of school. The documentary did have its moments, and I suppose it does go along well with what Freire is saying, which is the teacher must be prepared to be taught. The documentary covers a hand full of students who learn both in class and in the community. Maybe the documentary is better aimed at high school students like the ones in the documentary, because at this stage of life I have had many job interviews and the two big questions are how much school have you had, and how much experience. In answer to the documentaries question I think that we need both school as well as hands on experience. I hope the people who watch this realize that school is a great thing, that it is awesome to sit down at the feet of an expert and glean from their knowledge. School can turn into busy work and grades, but if done right school can be an incredibly good way to learn and, depending on the class, gain valuable experience.

I suppose maybe a better question is, how good is your schooling? They talk about how important hands on and going out side are, but there are many class that do this. I really do think that school has the potential to imprison, wow, I sound a lot like Freire, or the power truly inspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment